Toll Free: +(91)-9871233331/2


  1. What are the licensing requirements for a Private Investigator?

            The general requirements for a Private Investigator are:

    1. Be at least 18 years old.
    2. Three years of compensated experience totaling not less than 6,000 hours in investigative work, while employed by law enforcement agencies, collection agencies, insurance agencies, banks, courts, and other private investigation agencies, etc.
    3. A college degree in criminal law, criminal justice or police science can be substituted for part of the experience.
    4. Pass a written exam.
    5. Undergo a criminal history review.
  1. When does a Private Investigator license become delinquent?

            The Private Investigator license becomes delinquent 30 days after expiration.

  1. How long after the expiration of my license am I able to renew it?

            If after three years you fail to renew a delinquent license, you must submit a new application and begin the             application process again.

  1. How do I change my business name?

            To change your business name, you must submit a written request to the Bureau. Submit at least six names             for consideration.
            Note: If you are requesting your existing business name change to another business name other than your             personal name, please send a change of business name fee in the amount of $25 with your request.

  1. Can a Private Investigator use a post office box for an address?

            Yes. A Private Investigator may list a post office box only if mail delivery to the business address is not possible, or if the principal place of business is located at the licensee's personal residence. This request must be explained in writing. Otherwise, the company must state address by street, number and city. In addition, no licensee shall conduct business from any location other than the location for which a license or branch office registration was issued.

  1. How long does it take to process a new license following a request for a change of name, address or branch office?

Approximately four to six weeks.

  1. There has been a change in the type of ownership/entity after receiving the Private Investigator license. What do I have to do?

Licenses cannot be transferred or reassigned to new entities. A change of ownership constitutes a new entity. You must submit a new application with appropriate fees. For example, if you apply and become licensed as a sole owner and later decide to form a partnership or corporation, you must apply for a new license. Partners can be added to a partnership license without obtaining a new license.

  1. Can a Private Investigator carry a concealed weapon?

Yes. A Private Investigator may carry a concealed weapon on duty if he/she also has BSIS exposed firearms permit, and possesses a concealed weapons permit issued by local law enforcement or:

    1. Is a retired peace officer with an endorsement to carry a concealed weapon or
    2. Is an active duty peace officer
  1. Must Private Investigators who have concealed weapon permits, also have the Bureau's exposed weapons permit while on duty?

Yes. Even though a Private Investigator may possess a concealed weapons permit, he/she must also complete Bureau-approved firearms training course and obtain the Bureau's exposed firearms permit prior to carrying and using a firearm.

  1. Can a Private Investigator act as a bodyguard?

A Private Investigator may protect individuals. However, he/she may only do so in connection with a case that he/she has been previously hired to investigate.